Saturday, September 4, 2010

Five*5

Worked through the Particle Shadows tutorial over at VideoCopilot. I figured that it could provide one approach to creating the shadows for the  INNER's in an efficient way. I'm right, but it will take tweaking. It was a reasonably quick tutorial to get the basics of the technique down-pat but it took a fair while to play with the details so that I could achieve the right volume to the shadows.

This was the raw result of the base tutorial. The objects cast the shadows correctly and according to plan, but there were issues with some of the shadows being to close to the ground in the sense that they were far to dark in comparison to what they should (in reality) be. I played with the settings further and improved on the issue but it was by no way resolved. I kept going and it frustratingly refused to improve to any degree that I would deem acceptable. Then I had a thought, which was something that I should have thought of at the beginning;


Yep. The objects had collided/passed through the floor plane which had created said abomination. So very frustrating that I had not thought to check earlier - I would have saved myself some serious time. But we learn from these mistakes. When creating the emitter I had tested and checked it thoroughly but forgot to recheck when continuing with the tutorial, when I made changes to the emitter. So I tweaked the settings on the emitter and moved the emitter higher and you can see comparison to a couple of attempts and the final attempt in the following video. The shadows aren't dark enough in my opinion, but I think that has more to do with the render than anything..

No comments:

Post a Comment